Biocranial – a system truly dedicated towards optimal health and vitality for the entire body
I’ve been in practice for over 25 years, always searching for something that provides the most significant results in a person’s health and wellness. Biocranial is it. Early on, before Biocranial, I was sadly disappointed with just Chiropractic care alone. I’ve always wanted to see people heal from disease, but it just wasn’t happening with Chiropractic. Finally, it was stated in a journal that “if 80% of the nervous system is above the spine, what are you doing about this, doctor?” What an epiphany! By using Chiropractic only, I was influencing only 20% of the nervous system, then no wonder I wasn’t seeing people heal from disease!
How does Biocranial Work?
“Cranial structure determines the totality of all function” The Biocranial system is all about optimal health and vitality (circulation, digestion, immune, hormonal, etc.) of the body.
Biocranial is a “hands on” procedure done while the person is lying on their back. A very specific contact is made to the back of the skull while the person’s head is moved up and around in a very precise direction, to stretch musculature that will influence the brain. Biocranial affects the whole body, from above down, inside out. Organs and systems balance and improve, as well as the musculoskeletal system. Mood and emotion, sleep and energy will be influenced. There are no side-effects to a Biocranial correction.
Who Can Benefit From Biocranial?
Biocranial has helped people with a range of health issues, which include, but are not limited to:
- Structural Disorders: Sciatica, low back pain, neck and shoulder pain/restrictions, knee, elbow and ankle injuries.
- Special Conditions: Female disorders, asthma, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, colitis, tinnitus, arthritis, prostate, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), hay fever, varicosity, skin disorders, hiatus hernia, inguinal hernia, brain injuries, stroke victims, cerebrospinal shunt patients and much more. I have seen many people heal from Lupus, Rheumatoid arthritis, cancers of all types, and chronic illness.
- Children’s disorders: Cerebral palsy, hyperactivity and ADHD.
- Organ System Disorders: Since Biocranial enhances / balances the autonomic nerve system that is in control of all organs and systems in the body, organ function improves.
The BCS (Biocranial System) has enabled many of my patients to enjoy faster and more lasting improvements than they have experienced with other methods. In many cases, people with very chronic and entrenched problems have responded well, even after long periods of frustration following the use of other medical and holistic therapies.
Further Biocranial Information:
How Does Spinal Tension Occur and Continue?
The skull is made up of 22 interlocking bones, all of which are in a constant rhythmic motion. This motion coincides with the pumping of cerebrospinal fluid inside the skull, and through the spinal canal. This fluid bathes and nourishes the nerves. Cranial motion stimulates the pituitary gland and is a major influence on the hormonal / gland system. One of the most critical aspects of the cranial structure is a lining that attaches to the inner surface of the skull. This lining is known as the dura mater, which means “tough mother” in Latin because it is the toughest tissue in the body.
The dura is critical to every aspect of life. This membrane, thin and strong like the nylon in a parachute or backpack, adheres to the inside of the skull. It then exits the skull and physically anchors into the upper neck region and to the sacrum (which is the triangular bone between the pelvis, below the spine).
The tone or tension that’s created between the attachments above and below the spine allow for proper function in the body, which is neurologically-controlled, as well as appropriate adaptation to stressors in life, both inside and out. If the tone or tension is out of balance, then the body won’t be cared for and controlled properly, similar to the strings on a guitar being out of tune. This state of contraction in the dura is a reality. The trauma of the birth process assures this, because during birth the shape and motion of the skull can become distorted. The tension arising in the cranium from this distortion actually creates specific vertebral subluxations! The tension also infiltrates the fascia, a continuous thin sheath that surrounds every bone, blood vessel, muscle, and organ in the body!
Credentials of the Biocranial System:
The Biocranial System (BCS) of therapeutics was discovered and developed in the 1970’s and 80’s by Robert Boyd, D.O., a U.K. Registered Osteopath. It was then referred to as Biocranial Therapy and subsequently The Biocranial System. While based upon the discovery by Dr. William Garner Sutherland of the rhythmic Primary Respiratory Mechanism (PRM), the philosophical principles of Biocranial set this system apart from other cranial based disciplines.
These principles are now incorporated in a wide variety of books, manuals and articles published in professional journals. Overall, they relate to the discovery of a previously unknown level of weakness in the structure of practically everyone, going back to birth. The specific nature of this “weakness” provides the predisposition toward the development of a virtually unlimited range of disorders, dysfunctions, and illnesses. More importantly, the principle of Biocranial also incorporates the means of addressing these fundamental weaknesses.
The unique research underpinning Biocranial is truly groundbreaking:
- It predicates the essential need for movement behind practically every function in the living processes.
- It establishes the existence of a previously unrecognized system which is the body’s controlling mechanism. Dr. Boyd has termed it simply the Master System.
- It shows that all of the other systems such as circulatory, musculoskeletal, endocrine, neurological and so on are dependent upon the integrity of the Master System.
- It suggests that the goal of mediation in virtually ALL disorders, including those of the (voluntary) musculoskeletal system, and the visceral system (involuntary) must include correction of the Master System (the source of function) — the brain.
- The goal of all cranial work MUST include a change of status of the Master System from its lesioned status to that of anatomical flexion, a concept discovered by Dr. Boyd and unique to Biocranial.
- There are essentially only two lesions within all of us, irrespective of symptoms (or the absence of them).
- Cranial work does NOT require the so called “monitoring” and palpating of cranial rhythms. Although highly specific, the treatment of the Biocranial System can be accomplished in minutes.
It must be emphasized, however, that the Biocranial System does not treat disorders or diseases by names or symptoms, but insists on enhancing the WHOLE person by addressing the underlying TOTAL disorder of the body’s Master System – the brain.
In Biocranial understandings, the perceived “trigger” factors, typically associated with the onset of symptoms are seldom the critical issue. Biocranial is focused on enhancing health and bodily function. Although it is frequently directed to addressing particular sets of symptoms, it is at all times directed to changing the basics of TOTAL function (physiology). Biocranial does NOT treat diseases, but addresses the TOTAL person.
Optimization of the Primary Respiratory Mechanism (PRM)
Since Biocranial is predicated on the principle that the PRM is the core mechanism at all levels of function (physiology), the protocol is directed to the correction only of this mechanism, irrespective of the presence or absence of symptoms. The procedure utilizes the existing pressure changes within the head (cranium) as part of the PRM, to bring about a very specific objective in the alignment of the cranial bones and status of the dural membrane. The procedure takes only a few minutes to accomplish.
This world class system is spearheading a new dimension in well-being and health care at all levels.
Contact our office to start the healing process within your own body today or simply call – 562.860.3404 to set up an appointment.